Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Superman Unchained #5 review




Written by:
Backup Art by:
Cover by:
A Place Between

I have never been a big SuperMan fan, but with Jim Lee doing the art and Scott Snyder writting Superman Unchained, i decided to give Clark a chance this month. #5 is my first issue of the unchained series and i'l be following it from here on out.


 Superman Unchained #5 is the first Superman comic i have ever purchased! I am glad that i did! It has been months since i have thoroughly enjoyed a single monthly issue of a comic like this. I plan on Olympic level diving straight into this series.

Art
  Jim Lee's pencil work in this issue is top notch and combing  with Scott Williams inking and Alex Sinclair's coloring this is a visual orgasm. The colors are bright and pop out right at you and definitely fit the tone of the story going on. Wraith is the shining star here art wise, he looks sinister and awesome at the same time. This is just what i needed to see after reading the abomination that is The Flash 26.

Story
My first Snyder story was the New 52 Batman run. Just like that series, this one has me hooked right away. I dig the fact that Wraith was used as an atom bomb dropped on Tokyo, and all the science and earth stone talk going on with General Lane. Although all of this does confuse me since im delving in during issue 5, im going to have to pick up the previous issues to fully understand it. But Snyder managed to hook me anyways. The conflict between Wraith and Superman in the fortress was well played out written so well. Snyder makes you really sense these 2 characters have for each other, even though they seem to be at odds. I can't wait to see where Snyder takes this.

Verdict

  Pick this up if your into Snyder's style of writing. Some people criticize his tendency to go in-depth with all of his dialogue, but that's something that i love about his writing. Snyder really digs deep into the characters that hes writing and brings out traits and new things about these heroes that no other writer has before. He also has turned me into a Superman and Batman fan, which no other writer has been able to do. All that genius writing mixed with Jim Lee's incredible artwork, i believe that this run is going to be one to remember. Luckily i have the previous issues to keep me busy until next month's issue!
5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment